Ah, for gawds sake!
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 02:08:48 UTC
Here's more proof why real Canadians should be very leary of the
Canadian Alliance, especially since their takeover of the Progressive
Conservative Party.

Today their website mentions PM Paul Martin's Groundhog Day Throne
Speech.

http://www.canadianalliance.ca/english/index-details.asp?ID=2671

Unfortunately for the Alliance, their cultural reference point for the
Groundhog Day icon is Punxsutawney Phil. That rodent lives in
Pennsylvania, USA!!!!

Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????

Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!

Robyn Gabriel
Weyoun
2004-01-08 02:22:20 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Here's more proof why real Canadians should be very leary of the
Canadian Alliance, especially since their takeover of the Progressive
Conservative Party.
Today their website mentions PM Paul Martin's Groundhog Day Throne
Speech.
http://www.canadianalliance.ca/english/index-details.asp?ID=2671
Unfortunately for the Alliance, their cultural reference point for the
Groundhog Day icon is Punxsutawney Phil. That rodent lives in
Pennsylvania, USA!!!!
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Robyn Gabriel
I like the commercials for something like "tell a Canadian story" or "tell
a Canadian tale" which present an (American) movie director who wants Rocket
Richard to convert to Basketball and change his name to Rick Richards.

It's a humours take off on those sickening Canadian heritage commercials.

I know it's "anti-American" to some because it makes fun of how we view
them, but do you really think that we (such a small country) shouldn't have
some fun? I think they're hilarious.
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 02:33:08 UTC
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
[...]
I'm all for making fun of the Americans. They're such an easy target.
And we're so good at it, too! But that shouldn't be too surprising
because we're so close and we know all about them. Yet we have the
wonderful perspective of "outsiders." That allows us to see their
follies in ways they can't even begin to understand. We are their
unflinching mirror!

Robyn Gabriel
Weyoun
2004-01-08 02:52:40 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
[...]
Maybe people who don't know should know that the RMC Kingston Hockey team
has played a perpetual score Hockey match against West Point every year
since it began when the man who became Gen. Douglas Macarthur started it.
That was the year my Father was born, 1922.
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 03:25:15 UTC
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
some fun? I think they're hilarious.
I'm all for making fun of the Americans. They're such an easy target.
And we're so good at it, too! But that shouldn't be too surprising
because we're so close and we know all about them. Yet we have the
wonderful perspective of "outsiders." That allows us to see their
follies in ways they can't even begin to understand. We are their
unflinching mirror!
Robyn Gabriel
Maybe people who don't know should know that the RMC Kingston Hockey team
has played a perpetual score Hockey match against West Point every year
since it began when the man who became Gen. Douglas Macarthur started it.
That was the year my Father was born, 1922.
What's a "perpetual score Hocky match?" And who won? Or, who is
winning?

Robyn Gabriel
Cy Coe
2004-01-08 13:30:28 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
I know it's "anti-American" to some because it makes fun of how we view
them, but do you really think that we (such a small country) shouldn't have
some fun? I think they're hilarious.
I'm all for making fun of the Americans. They're such an easy target.
And we're so good at it, too! But that shouldn't be too surprising
because we're so close and we know all about them. Yet we have the
wonderful perspective of "outsiders." That allows us to see their
follies in ways they can't even begin to understand. We are their
unflinching mirror!
The only mirror that the petulant anti-Americanism of Canadians
provides is of our ourselves - of our smallness, immaturity and lack
of our own real sense of identity. If you need to bash another
country to feel good about your own, that's a problem.

And, of course, you leftists are so quick to point out any violation
of Canada's supposed values of tolerance, understanding and respect.
But then, like the true hypocrites you are, when the hate is directed
at a people you don't like, it's just fine.

Cy
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-09 02:21:41 UTC
Post by Cy Coe
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
[...]
Sorry Cy, but making fun of someone is not the same as hating them.
Not in my books, anyway. Or are you trying to introduce some kind of
"political correctness" regarding humour and Americans? Is it
politically incorrect to poke fun at them?

Robyn Gabriel
Cy Coe
2004-01-10 00:09:09 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Cy Coe
The only mirror that the petulant anti-Americanism of Canadians
provides is of our ourselves - of our smallness, immaturity and lack
of our own real sense of identity. If you need to bash another
country to feel good about your own, that's a problem.
And, of course, you leftists are so quick to point out any violation
of Canada's supposed values of tolerance, understanding and respect.
But then, like the true hypocrites you are, when the hate is directed
at a people you don't like, it's just fine.
Sorry Cy, but making fun of someone is not the same as hating them.
Not in my books, anyway. Or are you trying to introduce some kind of
"political correctness" regarding humour and Americans? Is it
politically incorrect to poke fun at them?
Hey, I'm just trying to get the rules straight, that's all. Hate is
bad, but "making fun" is okay. So, if someone makes a post that
"makes fun" of gays and lesbians, that's okay then, right?

I'm not trying to introduce "political correctness" of any kind. I'm
simply asking that those who practise it do so consistently.

Cy
John Carrick
2004-01-10 00:27:57 UTC
Post by Cy Coe
The only mirror that the petulant anti-Americanism of Canadians
provides is of our ourselves - of our smallness, immaturity and lack
of our own real sense of identity. If you need to bash another
country to feel good about your own, that's a problem.
Oh, please!

Calling attention to the the faults of a public figure, a government,
or a nation is a completely legitimate activity.

You come here regularly to do just that sort of thing.

Its alarming scale of violence and homicides is just one feature of
the United States which Americans *themselves* deplore! It is
absolutely proper for anyone, including Canadians, to comment
negatively about such deplorable features of U.S. life.

When praise of the U.S.is due, it should be given given freely also.

When you can say that the U.S.A. is *perfect*, come back here and
complain to me about "Anti-Americanism".

Otherwise, shut up and deal.
.
Cy Coe
2004-01-10 17:26:46 UTC
Post by John Carrick
Post by Cy Coe
The only mirror that the petulant anti-Americanism of Canadians
provides is of our ourselves - of our smallness, immaturity and lack
of our own real sense of identity. If you need to bash another
country to feel good about your own, that's a problem.
Oh, please!
Calling attention to the the faults of a public figure, a government,
or a nation is a completely legitimate activity.
I agree.
Post by John Carrick
You come here regularly to do just that sort of thing.
Its alarming scale of violence and homicides is just one feature of
the United States which Americans *themselves* deplore! It is
absolutely proper for anyone, including Canadians, to comment
negatively about such deplorable features of U.S. life.
It was not that sort of criticism that I was decrying. I agree that
the US has an alarming scale of violence. I was responding to the
original tone of the post, which criticized a party for making
reference to an American groundhog (and movie) in a joke which, if it
had used the Canadian equivalent, wouldn't have made sense. The same
individual went on to imply that our ability and desire to mock
Americans were things to be proud of. My argument in response was
they were negative aspects of our national character, rooted more in
our insecurities than in their "follies".

Canadian nationalists often resort to mocking or condemning Americans
as a way to build up Canadian pride. It's perhaps the unfortunate
legacy of a nation that was created mainly to block the advance of
another.
Post by John Carrick
When praise of the U.S.is due, it should be given given freely also.
And when Ms. Gabriel or certain others on this newsgroup have anything
nice to say about Americans, I'll take note of it. I've noted the
times when you have done so.
Post by John Carrick
When you can say that the U.S.A. is *perfect*, come back here and
complain to me about "Anti-Americanism".
Otherwise, shut up and deal.
.
The United States doesn't have to be perfect to make the kind of
anti-Americanism so often demonstrated in this forum unjustified. And
so much of this contempt is not simply directed at the political
institutions or leaders of the US, or at the nation as an abtract
entity, but at *Americans* themselves. How many posts have you seen
on here lately that refer to Americans as "morons" or as being
"stupid"?

Cy
Eric®
2004-01-10 21:47:46 UTC
Cy Coe wrote...
Post by Cy Coe
The United States doesn't have to be perfect to make the kind of
anti-Americanism so often demonstrated in this forum unjustified. And
so much of this contempt is not simply directed at the political
institutions or leaders of the US, or at the nation as an abtract
entity, but at *Americans* themselves. How many posts have you seen
on here lately that refer to Americans as "morons" or as being
"stupid"?
I think it's more common to see on this newsgroup (can.pol) the antics
of a pack of lapdogs who immediately begin bleating "anti-American!"
when anyone dares to criticize their beloved US President.

I criticize the Canadian government all the time - and also provincial
governments. No one calls me 'anti-Canadian' if I do (just more homely
epithets like 'leftist', 'neo-con' or 'right-wing crazy'.

***@lycos.com (Eric)

"Children are naive-they trust everyone. School is bad enough,
but if you put a child anywhere in the vicinity of a church,
you're asking for trouble." - Frank Zappa
n***@columbus.rr.com
2004-01-11 15:42:31 UTC
Well, Eric, I don't know where you've been, but I can assure you as an
American I have been called much worse, on a personal basis, by your
Canadian leftists. You people hold no moral high ground on that subject.

However, in common with all leftists, it's simply proof of the fact that
your people have no facts, no logic, and cannot hold their own in an adult
debate,
so they must resort to high emotion and childish personal attack.

Now, we really don't care what you think of us, we don't need a thing from
you,
so if you want encouragement, find some of the old, burned out druggies and
hippies from the 1960's, or their spoiled brat drugged up kids down here.
They'll play bongo drums, suck dope, and dream up new conspiracy theories
with you all night long, maybe even hold a few riots for fun!

Just don't ever think these are the people who make our decisions or run our
country.
Post by Eric®
Cy Coe wrote...
John Carrick
2004-01-10 22:26:09 UTC
Post by Cy Coe
Post by John Carrick
Calling attention to the the faults of a public figure, a government,
or a nation is a completely legitimate activity.
Its alarming scale of violence and homicides is just one feature of
the United States which Americans *themselves* deplore! It is
absolutely proper for anyone, including Canadians, to comment
negatively about such deplorable features of U.S. life.
It was not that sort of criticism that I was decrying. I agree that
the US has an alarming scale of violence. I was responding to the
original tone of the post, which criticized a party for making
reference to an American groundhog (and movie) in a joke which, if it
had used the Canadian equivalent, wouldn't have made sense. The same
individual went on to imply that our ability and desire to mock
Americans were things to be proud of.
"Twisting the lion's tail" *is* fun, you know! What I mean to say is
that the "king-of-the-hill" can expect to be sniped at. It goes with
the territory.
Post by Cy Coe
My argument in response was they were negative aspects of our national character,
rooted more in our insecurities than in their "follies".
I look at the matter rather differently.

Are you familiar with the expression, "the land of the fee and the
home of the rave"? It is, of course, a play on the last line of the
U.S. national anthem. It rather cleverly points out two negatives
about the U.S. [1] Many of its citizens are overly concerned about
material success. [2] Bombastic chauvinism is rampant there. How
many thousand times have you heard silly bragging about "the finest
country in the world"?

Canadians have every right to look down their collective nose at money
grubbing loud-mouths, wherever they find them.

We *do* live in a country which - with, of course, faults of its
own - is superior to the U.S. in these two respects.
Post by Cy Coe
Canadian nationalists often resort to mocking or condemning Americans
as a way to build up Canadian pride. It's perhaps the unfortunate
legacy of a nation that was created mainly to block the advance of
another.
That is inaccurate, or at best true for only a part of this country.
The French got here first, and eastern Canada was settled in the early
days by people driven out after the American revolution.
Post by Cy Coe
Post by John Carrick
When praise of the U.S.is due, it should be given given freely also.
And when Ms. Gabriel or certain others on this newsgroup have anything
nice to say about Americans, I'll take note of it. I've noted the
times when you have done so.
They come "to bury Caesar, not to praise him. [Apologies to Wm.
Shakespeare.] If you want posts laudatory of the U.S. to appear here,
you are at liberty to provide them.
Post by Cy Coe
Post by John Carrick
When you can say that the U.S.A. is *perfect*, come back here and
complain to me about "Anti-Americanism".
The United States doesn't have to be perfect to make the kind of
anti-Americanism so often demonstrated in this forum unjustified. And
so much of this contempt is not simply directed at the political
institutions or leaders of the US, or at the nation as an abstract
entity, but at *Americans* themselves. How many posts have you seen
on here lately that refer to Americans as "morons" or as being
"stupid"?
Listen closely, please. When Bill Clinton was the president of the
United States there was far less crrticism of that country from
Canadians than there is today with Geo.W. Bush in the White House.

A very large majority of Canadians, for whatever reason, have
decidedly little respect for this U.S. president. They don't like his
domestic policies - see: crony capitalism, softwood lumber policy,
closing the U.S. border to Canadian meat products, etc - and they are
suspicious of the way he conducts foreign affairs.

American unilateralism does not go over well in his country, whether
it involves the Kyoto Agreement, the International Court of Justice,
land mines, the military conquest of Iraq, or numerous other matters.

Few Canadians admire and respect the American president, and their
dislike of him and those around him spills over into general criticism
of his nation.

For you to interpret all criticism of the U.S.as a demonstration of
Canadian insecurity is simply unreasonable.

Canadians have much to be proud of, and they have no obligation to
pretend that they approve of bad behaviour south of the border.
.
Cy Coe
2004-01-12 01:24:17 UTC
Post by John Carrick
Post by Cy Coe
It was not that sort of criticism that I was decrying. I agree that
the US has an alarming scale of violence. I was responding to the
original tone of the post, which criticized a party for making
reference to an American groundhog (and movie) in a joke which, if it
had used the Canadian equivalent, wouldn't have made sense. The same
individual went on to imply that our ability and desire to mock
Americans were things to be proud of.
"Twisting the lion's tail" *is* fun, you know! What I mean to say is
that the "king-of-the-hill" can expect to be sniped at. It goes with
the territory.
This is an attitude that I find difficult to understand. I think of
those promoters of "identity politics" who argue that in order for
someone to be considered a "racist", the target of his/her hatred or
contempt must be a group less powerful or privileged than his own.
Under this interesting definition of the word, a black American who
hates all whites and calls for their extermination cannot be called a
"racist".
Post by John Carrick
Post by Cy Coe
My argument in response was they were negative aspects of our national character,
rooted more in our insecurities than in their "follies".
I look at the matter rather differently.
Are you familiar with the expression, "the land of the fee and the
home of the rave"?
I haven't heard that expression coming from anyone but you. I thought
you had coined it.
Post by John Carrick
It is, of course, a play on the last line of the
U.S. national anthem. It rather cleverly points out two negatives
about the U.S. [1] Many of its citizens are overly concerned about
material success. [2] Bombastic chauvinism is rampant there. How
many thousand times have you heard silly bragging about "the finest
country in the world"?
Whereas Canadians engage in a more puzzling form of bragging - "We're
better than they are!" We constantly compare ourselves to the US, but
when doing so seem more determined to run them down than to build
ourselves up.
Post by John Carrick
Canadians have every right to look down their collective nose at money
grubbing loud-mouths, wherever they find them.
We *do* live in a country which - with, of course, faults of its
own - is superior to the U.S. in these two respects.
I agree that Canada, for the most part, lacks bombastic chauvinism. I
also agree that this is a good thing. I'm not sure that Americans are
more concerned about material success than Canadians, but I do believe
that they are more convinced than Canadians that such success must be
*earned* through competitive economic activity and risk-taking.
Canadians have more of a sense of entitlement to material comfort than
Americans.
Post by John Carrick
Post by Cy Coe
The United States doesn't have to be perfect to make the kind of
anti-Americanism so often demonstrated in this forum unjustified. And
so much of this contempt is not simply directed at the political
institutions or leaders of the US, or at the nation as an abstract
entity, but at *Americans* themselves. How many posts have you seen
on here lately that refer to Americans as "morons" or as being
"stupid"?
Listen closely, please.
Condescend less, please.
Post by John Carrick
When Bill Clinton was the president of the
United States there was far less crrticism of that country from
Canadians than there is today with Geo.W. Bush in the White House.
How does a change of government in the US suddenly make all the
citizens of that country less intelligent or principled?
Post by John Carrick
A very large majority of Canadians, for whatever reason, have
decidedly little respect for this U.S. president. They don't like his
domestic policies - see: crony capitalism, softwood lumber policy,
closing the U.S. border to Canadian meat products, etc - and they are
suspicious of the way he conducts foreign affairs.
I'm one of that majority. Unlike others within that majority, I don't
equate the Bush Administration with the United States.
Post by John Carrick
American unilateralism does not go over well in his country, whether
it involves the Kyoto Agreement, the International Court of Justice,
land mines, the military conquest of Iraq, or numerous other matters.
Few Canadians admire and respect the American president, and their
dislike of him and those around him spills over into general criticism
of his nation.
All Germans were not Nazis, nor were all Russians communist. That's
one of the things that make wars so horrible - that the people
fighting them have little to do with the ideologies, personal
conflicts or belief systems that cause them. If they could have put
George Bush and Saddam Hussein in a ring and had them settle their
differences personally, countless lives would have been saved.
Post by John Carrick
For you to interpret all criticism of the U.S.as a demonstration of
Canadian insecurity is simply unreasonable.
Where did you get the idea that I view *all* criticism of the US in
such a way? In fact, I thought I had taken great pains to establish
that this was not the case.
Post by John Carrick
Canadians have much to be proud of, and they have no obligation to
pretend that they approve of bad behaviour south of the border.
Nor do I have an obligation to approve of the bad behaviour of
Canadian nationalists.

Cy
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-11 03:04:26 UTC
Post by Cy Coe
Post by John Carrick
Post by Cy Coe
The only mirror that the petulant anti-Americanism of Canadians
provides is of our ourselves - of our smallness, immaturity and lack
of our own real sense of identity. If you need to bash another
country to feel good about your own, that's a problem.
Oh, please!
Calling attention to the the faults of a public figure, a government,
or a nation is a completely legitimate activity.
I agree.
So do I!
Post by Cy Coe
Post by John Carrick
[...]
I'm not sure. Of course we have insecurities and any mouse living
next to an elephant would be foolish to deny it. But I don't think
that's all of it.

Some time ago, on a flight from Budapest to Munich, I was sitting
beside a woman from Austria. She spoke limited English but I was
curious about how Austrians saw Germany and I asked her for her
opinions. It was so strange. Everything she said about Germany -
their aggressiveness, their loudness, their belief that "they" were
Europe, and on and on, could easily have been any Canadian (save about
ten Canadians posting to this newsgroup) talking about the USA. Was
she insecure? Perhaps. But even if it's insecurity, should we just
shut up? I say no. I would encourage Canadians to speak up and talk
back, if necessary.
Post by Cy Coe
Canadian nationalists often resort to mocking or condemning Americans
as a way to build up Canadian pride. It's perhaps the unfortunate
legacy of a nation that was created mainly to block the advance of
another.
Post by John Carrick
When praise of the U.S. is due, it should be given freely also.
And when Ms. Gabriel or certain others on this newsgroup have anything
nice to say about Americans, I'll take note of it. I've noted the
times when you have done so.
I don't have too many nice things to say about America. (Note that I
don't say "Americans."). I don't like Republican (i.e. GOP)
administrations, for starters. I prefer the Democrats to be in power,
not that there's that much difference.

I don't like the way that this Bush administration is blaming Canada
for all sorts of things. I don't like their protectionist,
anti-Canadian economic policies.

I don't like the way they push their weight around. I don't like that
they are the only superpower in the world. There is no balance in
that.

Yes, I'm anti-American!

Having said all that, if there is to be only one superpower in the
world, I prefer America to all the other potential superpowers. (Are
you making note of this, Cy?)

The Americans have a wonderful constitution. I hope that progressive
Americans defend it and strengthen it. It sure beats being dominated
by crazed Ayatollahs, other religious fanatics, or psychopaths like
Kim Il Sung's son.
Post by Cy Coe
Post by John Carrick
When you can say that the U.S.A. is *perfect*, come back here and
complain to me about "Anti-Americanism".
Otherwise, shut up and deal.
.
The United States doesn't have to be perfect to make the kind of
anti-Americanism so often demonstrated in this forum unjustified. And
so much of this contempt is not simply directed at the political
institutions or leaders of the US, or at the nation as an abtract
entity, but at *Americans* themselves. How many posts have you seen
on here lately that refer to Americans as "morons" or as being
"stupid"?
Too many are gullible. And that's a major problem.

Robyn Gabriel
Freddy The Fog
2004-01-11 03:43:57 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Cy Coe
Post by Cy Coe
Post by John Carrick
[...]
My time living in the USA wasn't bad at all.

Having lived in Miamisburg, Ohio, Southern California, Dallas
Texas, NYC and wasting 8 months of my youth as a member of the
Tulsa Oilers (Central Hockey League - a Leafs Farm Club) in the
mid 1970's, I've found that most of the Americans aren't all
that different than us. The government? Hell, more than half
of them don't even vote (they're like us), they're too busy
raising kids and pursuing happiness. That's a right in the US,
voting isn't. :)
Robyn Gabriel
Cy Coe
2004-01-12 01:45:31 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Cy Coe
It was not that sort of criticism that I was decrying. I agree that
the US has an alarming scale of violence. I was responding to the
original tone of the post, which criticized a party for making
reference to an American groundhog (and movie) in a joke which, if it
had used the Canadian equivalent, wouldn't have made sense. The same
individual went on to imply that our ability and desire to mock
Americans were things to be proud of. My argument in response was
they were negative aspects of our national character, rooted more in
our insecurities than in their "follies".
I'm not sure. Of course we have insecurities and any mouse living
next to an elephant would be foolish to deny it. But I don't think
that's all of it.
I think envy of their prominence is involved to some degree. We're
the little brother that plays by the rules and gets good grades but
never gets as much attention from Mom and Dad as our rebellious, less
studious older brother.

Laurier promised Canada the twentieth-century. The Americans scooped
it from us. Some Canadians have never gotten over that.
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Some time ago, on a flight from Budapest to Munich, I was sitting
beside a woman from Austria. She spoke limited English but I was
curious about how Austrians saw Germany and I asked her for her
opinions. It was so strange. Everything she said about Germany -
their aggressiveness, their loudness, their belief that "they" were
Europe, and on and on, could easily have been any Canadian (save about
ten Canadians posting to this newsgroup) talking about the USA.
If you were talking to someone from New Zealand, they may have had
similar things to say about Australians. There are many "little
brothers" out there.
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Was
she insecure? Perhaps. But even if it's insecurity, should we just
shut up? I say no. I would encourage Canadians to speak up and talk
back, if necessary.
I think we Canadians would be better off if we could develop a sense
of our own identity that doesn't include an explicit or implicit
reference to the United States. Until we're able to do that, we going
to continue to look outward for our self-esteem than within.
Post by Robyn Gabriel
I don't like the way they push their weight around. I don't like that
they are the only superpower in the world. There is no balance in
that.
Yes, I'm anti-American!
Having said all that, if there is to be only one superpower in the
world, I prefer America to all the other potential superpowers. (Are
you making note of this, Cy?)
Sure.
Post by Robyn Gabriel
The Americans have a wonderful constitution. I hope that progressive
Americans defend it and strengthen it. It sure beats being dominated
by crazed Ayatollahs, other religious fanatics, or psychopaths like
Kim Il Sung's son.
No argument from me.
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Cy Coe
The United States doesn't have to be perfect to make the kind of
anti-Americanism so often demonstrated in this forum unjustified. And
so much of this contempt is not simply directed at the political
institutions or leaders of the US, or at the nation as an abtract
entity, but at *Americans* themselves. How many posts have you seen
on here lately that refer to Americans as "morons" or as being
"stupid"?
Too many are gullible. And that's a major problem.
Americans appear to have abandoned their tradition of independent
thinking and rebelliousness, and have fallen instead into the habit of
unthinking deference to their elites. In that sense, they've become
more Canadian. They could have found much more positive ways to
emulate us.

Cy

Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-11 02:17:23 UTC
Post by Cy Coe
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Cy Coe
[...]
Depends. But there is a world of difference between poking fun at the
world's only super-power and poking fun at a minority that in some
countries is considered criminal or ill, or both.
Post by Cy Coe
I'm not trying to introduce "political correctness" of any kind. I'm
simply asking that those who practise it do so consistently.
That's fair enough. But if you're suggesting that I'm inconsistent,
show me where and I'll try and explain.

Robyn Gabriel
Cy Coe
2004-01-08 13:31:28 UTC
Post by Weyoun
I know it's "anti-American" to some because it makes fun of how we view
them, but do you really think that we (such a small country) shouldn't have
some fun? I think they're hilarious.
Does being a small country mean we have to be a small people?

Cy
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 02:21:25 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Here's more proof why real Canadians should be very leary of the
Canadian Alliance, especially since their takeover of the Progressive
Conservative Party.
Today their website mentions PM Paul Martin's Groundhog Day Throne
Speech.
http://www.canadianalliance.ca/english/index-details.asp?ID=2671
Unfortunately for the Alliance, their cultural reference point for the
Groundhog Day icon is Punxsutawney Phil. That rodent lives in
Pennsylvania, USA!!!!
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Robyn Gabriel
Actually, on second thought, I shouldn't be too surprised. After all,
it's the same people who told their previous Great White Hope,
Stockwell Day, in one of his more telling photo ops - standing beside
the Niagara River in Ontario - that Canadian jobs, like the river, was
flowing south. The idiots!!! The river flows north, as most real
Canadians know.

Robyn Gabriel
Weyoun
2004-01-08 02:37:30 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
[...]
Remember, this is a Canadian politics newsgroup and I bet that 1,000 people
pay attention to our rants.
Peter White
pay attention to our rants.
Weyoun
2004-01-08 03:56:08 UTC
Post by Peter White
Yeah every 100 days it adds to that.
Having friends who live and are from Glace Bay, and a partial degree from
Cornell from hockey and finishing it off down East at Dalhousie before I
grew up and 20 years ago started a life in France as a ski bum in '85?

Pas de problem! My Xerox days, my Toshiba days and my decadent management
times have allowed me to take time off. Hell, I'm only 45.

I suppose we'll always know where "Eric Trammels" roots are from, he was
worried about buying a bottle of rye, not bourbon.

Americans drink Bourbon.

:)
Peter White
2004-01-08 04:50:34 UTC
Da lousy eh
I was there 69 to 71
We can say Dalousy for the same reason a Newfoundlander is allowed Newfie.
-Peter
:)
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 02:45:09 UTC
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
[...]
Oh, I know. But for some of us it's a good place to rant and vent.

Robyn Gabriel
Weyoun
2004-01-08 03:02:04 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
[...]
Who can argue? I was young once (!) and my first vote preferred the
socialist Broadbent over Stanfield and Trudeau! LOL!

Who can forget ELP at The Parc Olympic the same day as "Bill 101" was out
there. All my Francophone friends saying "don't worry".
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 03:35:21 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
pay attention to our rants.
Oh, I know. But for some of us it's a good place to rant and vent.
Robyn Gabriel
Who can argue? I was young once (!) and my first vote preferred the
socialist Broadbent over Stanfield and Trudeau! LOL!
I liked Trudeau and in retrospect I still do. But these days I vote
NDP.
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Who can forget ELP at The Parc Olympic the same day as "Bill 101" was out
there. All my Francophone friends saying "don't worry".
While waiting at the chiropractor's office today, I read an article in
Macleans that said that a majority of les Quebecois/Quebecoise like
the "new" Canada that embraces same-sex marriage, the
decriminalization of small amounts of marijuana, and not going to war
with Iraq. Maybe if we become different from the Americans, we can
stay together as a nation.

Robyn Gabriel
Weyoun
2004-01-08 04:06:30 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Who can forget ELP at The Parc Olympic the same day as "Bill 101" was out
there. All my Francophone friends saying "don't worry".
While waiting at the chiropractor's office today, I read an article in
Macleans that said that a majority of les Quebecois/Quebecoise like
the "new" Canada that embraces same-sex marriage, the
decriminalization of small amounts of marijuana, and not going to war
with Iraq. Maybe if we become different from the Americans, we can
stay together as a nation.
Robyn Gabriel
Mr. Gabriel.

Years ago it was easy. You just dropped a small piece of rubber between
Gretzky and LeMeiux, then argued about who was the best all over the country
with your Francophone and Anglophone team mates.

I found it funny that SOA said it was an Ontario person who lost it, last
year Scarborough's Anson Carter (ex Oiler) won the world championship/

It's disgusting that we can be so idiotic about celebrating our game. We
should rise above that, shouldn't we?
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 11:47:59 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
[...]
With rare exceptions, I don't get too excited about professional
sports. Yet, I have a soft spot for the Hamilton Tiger Cats and I was
thrilled when Toronto won the World Series. The irony is that most of
the players for both teams are American imports.

Robyn Gabriel
Jeff Johnston
Rise above hockey? Is that even possible, is there anything above hockey?
Weyoun
2004-01-08 14:10:27 UTC
(Robyn
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Unfortunately for the Alliance, their cultural reference point
for
Post by Robyn Gabriel
the
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Weyoun
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Groundhog Day icon is Punxsutawney Phil. That rodent lives in
Pennsylvania, USA!!!!
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Robyn Gabriel
Actually, on second thought, I shouldn't be too surprised.
After
Post by Robyn Gabriel
all,
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by Robyn Gabriel
should rise above that, shouldn't we?
Rise above hockey? Is that even possible, is there anything above hockey?
Only if you're "Eric Trammel", and he only likes NBA because Americans do.
:)
Steve Marskell
I bet most Canadians haven't a clue which way the river flows.........
Weyoun
2004-01-08 06:51:51 UTC
Post by Steve Marskell
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Actually, on second thought, I shouldn't be too surprised. After all,
it's the same people who told their previous Great White Hope,
Stockwell Day, in one of his more telling photo ops - standing beside
the Niagara River in Ontario - that Canadian jobs, like the river, was
flowing south. The idiots!!! The river flows north, as most real
Canadians know.
I bet most Canadians haven't a clue which way the river flows.........
Which Canadians? ;)

Oh! I see! You think that the Eskimo's from the Siberian Archipelago are
no different from the ones in Alaska or Canada?

Wow? I bet you think that Christopher Columbus discovered America, and not
that tidy little place called "the Caribbean".

Oh well. Take a vacation.
David Deilley
2004-01-08 08:25:54 UTC
Post by Steve Marskell
I bet most Canadians haven't a clue which way the river flows.........
Most Canadians aren't on TV using the flow of the river as a symbol for the
Canadian economy.
jmd
2004-01-08 13:53:51 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Actually, on second thought, I shouldn't be too surprised. After all,
it's the same people who told their previous Great White Hope,
Stockwell Day, in one of his more telling photo ops - standing beside
the Niagara River in Ontario - that Canadian jobs, like the river, was
flowing south. The idiots!!! The river flows north, as most real
Canadians know.
===============================
You know Robyn, you are absolutely right about Stockwell Day. Just think
what this country would be like today if we had elected a guy who didn't
know which way the Niagara River flows instead of a corrupt bumpkin from
rural Quebec who couldn't speak either official language.

John Dowell
Weyoun
2004-01-08 13:59:52 UTC
Post by jmd
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Actually, on second thought, I shouldn't be too surprised. After all,
it's the same people who told their previous Great White Hope,
Stockwell Day, in one of his more telling photo ops - standing beside
the Niagara River in Ontario - that Canadian jobs, like the river, was
flowing south. The idiots!!! The river flows north, as most real
Canadians know.
===============================
You know Robyn, you are absolutely right about Stockwell Day. Just think
what this country would be like today if we had elected a guy who didn't
know which way the Niagara River flows instead of a corrupt bumpkin from
rural Quebec who couldn't speak either official language.
John Dowell
Don't forget that Stock was active with the CA during the time George W.
Bush was running against Al Gore for the Presidency of the USA.

I remember when someone asked Bush about him and he replied "He's that
religious fanatic, isn't he?"

Strong words from a man oft referred to as a "religious fanatic" himself.
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-09 02:33:57 UTC
Post by jmd
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Actually, on second thought, I shouldn't be too surprised. After all,
it's the same people who told their previous Great White Hope,
Stockwell Day, in one of his more telling photo ops - standing beside
the Niagara River in Ontario - that Canadian jobs, like the river, was
flowing south. The idiots!!! The river flows north, as most real
Canadians know.
===============================
You know Robyn, you are absolutely right about Stockwell Day. Just think
what this country would be like today if we had elected a guy who didn't
know which way the Niagara River flows instead of a corrupt bumpkin from
rural Quebec who couldn't speak either official language.
I was never a fan of "le petit gars de Shawinigan." However, last
year, he gave many Canadians several reasons to be proud of our
country. I am one of those Canadians. I'll take Chretien over
Stockwell Day, any day! No doubt about that.

Robyn Gabriel
David Deilley
2004-01-08 02:58:09 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Maybe david Frim helped write the web page - or that perennial idiot John
Lambourn.
Weyoun
2004-01-08 03:13:08 UTC
Post by David Deilley
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Maybe david Frim helped write the web page - or that perennial idiot John
Lambourn.
Funny how most Canadians aren't like "Eric", "Terry" or "SOA".

I think that it has to do with the fact that those imbeciles regard the CBC
as nothing but a political rant, which it isn't. They look at Eastern
Ontario as "The East", which it isn't. They live in the middle of Canada.
thinking they're "Out West" and not British Columbia, which they aren't.

They look at Thunder Bay or Timmins as being "Ontario" and basically they're
map of the country is "blind ass".
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 03:25:17 UTC
Post by Weyoun
Post by David Deilley
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Maybe david Frim helped write the web page - or that perennial idiot John
Lambourn.
Funny how most Canadians aren't like "Eric", "Terry" or "SOA".
I think that it has to do with the fact that those imbeciles regard the CBC
as nothing but a political rant, which it isn't. They look at Eastern
Ontario as "The East", which it isn't. They live in the middle of Canada.
thinking they're "Out West" and not British Columbia, which they aren't.
They look at Thunder Bay or Timmins as being "Ontario" and basically they're
map of the country is "blind ass".
Yup. That pretty well sums it up.

Robyn Gabriel
David Deilley
2004-01-08 03:48:51 UTC
Lambourn (aka "Erik" aka "Bruce" actually lives in southern Ontario.
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 03:25:16 UTC
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 02:58:09 GMT, "David Deilley"
Post by David Deilley
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Maybe david Frim helped write the web page - or that perennial idiot John
Lambourn.
Perhaps a political kin.

R. Gabriel
Weyoun
2004-01-08 04:25:59 UTC
Post by David Deilley
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Maybe david Frim helped write the web page - or that perennial idiot John
Lambourn.
Perhaps a political kin.
R. Gabriel
One of my best friends played back up Sax for Mo Koffman. He produced
"Snowbird" and has a Gold record for it.

The same people I knew in Scarborough (before my time in Alberta) one of
the best in the world. Ed Bickert.

Life ain't easy when you know good people. When you run into a giant in
life like Gordon Pinset, Geddy Lee or Eddie Shack. Let me know.

Been there, done that.
James Goneaux
2004-01-08 06:21:47 UTC
Post by David Deilley
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Maybe david Frim helped write the web page - or that perennial idiot John
Lambourn.
Well, the fact that Willy is a former groundhog might be a clue...

James Goneaux
Opinions are made to be changed
or how is truth to be got at? - Lord Byron
Weyoun
2004-01-08 07:06:50 UTC
Post by David Deilley
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Maybe david Frim helped write the web page - or that perennial idiot John
Lambourn.
Well, the fact that Willy is a former groundhog might be a clue...
James Goneaux
Opinions are made to be changed
or how is truth to be got at? - Lord Byron
I just wish there were some people who didn't feel it necessary to act out.

19 years ago I visited Père Lachaise cemetary, I only wanted to go there
because of Franz Liszt, not Jim Morrison!

Then I got arrested in a cemetary! Damn. I've only gone back to France 6
times since!
The State of Alberta
2004-01-08 03:33:33 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Here's more proof why real Canadians should be very leary of the
Canadian Alliance, especially since their takeover of the Progressive
Conservative Party.
Today their website mentions PM Paul Martin's Groundhog Day Throne
Speech.
http://www.canadianalliance.ca/english/index-details.asp?ID=2671
Unfortunately for the Alliance, their cultural reference point for the
Groundhog Day icon is Punxsutawney Phil. That rodent lives in
Pennsylvania, USA!!!!
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Yes. Why should westerners worship some rat from Ontario. We've done
enough of that.

Or it could be the water in Wiarton.
Shame on the rich people of Ontario for shoving their crap down our throats.
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 03:41:23 UTC
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 03:33:33 GMT, "The State of Alberta"
Post by The State of Alberta
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Here's more proof why real Canadians should be very leary of the
Canadian Alliance, especially since their takeover of the Progressive
Conservative Party.
Today their website mentions PM Paul Martin's Groundhog Day Throne
Speech.
http://www.canadianalliance.ca/english/index-details.asp?ID=2671
Unfortunately for the Alliance, their cultural reference point for the
Groundhog Day icon is Punxsutawney Phil. That rodent lives in
Pennsylvania, USA!!!!
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Yes. Why should westerners worship some rat from Ontario. We've done
enough of that.
You choose to worship? That's your problem. I don't worship anyone,
or anything.
Post by The State of Alberta
Or it could be the water in Wiarton.
Walkerton. You're an idot!
Post by The State of Alberta
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Shame on the rich people of Ontario for shoving their crap down our throats.
You're a loser.

Robyn Gabriel
The State of Alberta
2004-01-08 05:26:45 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by The State of Alberta
Yes. Why should westerners worship some rat from Ontario. We've done
enough of that.
You choose to worship? That's your problem. I don't worship anyone,
or anything.
If you're from Ontario, then you worship money and power.
Oops, but it makes no difference. Ontario makes everything bad.
Weyoun
2004-01-08 05:29:48 UTC
Post by The State of Alberta
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by The State of Alberta
Or it could be the water in Wiarton.
Walkerton. You're an idot!
Oops, but it makes no difference. Ontario makes everything bad.
You're just a rodent.

Blameless asshole
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-09 02:43:52 UTC
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 05:26:45 GMT, "The State of Alberta"
Post by The State of Alberta
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Post by The State of Alberta
Or it could be the water in Wiarton.
Walkerton. You're an idot!
Oops, but it makes no difference. Ontario makes everything bad.
So who's responsible for you geographic and political illiteracy?

Robyn Gabriel
Weyoun
2004-01-08 04:16:08 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Shame on the rich people of Ontario for shoving their crap down our throats.
You are pathetic. Even when I lived in Canmore during the Olympics, I
met with people like you.

You do a dis-service to your "so-called" country. Your ignorance is
unbelievable.

I broke my right hand working on the rigs in '79. Mud up to my teeth,
watched friends take a broken wrench on the face and get fucked up.

What were you doing in '79? Sucking on your mother's breast?
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-08 11:49:53 UTC
Post by The State of Alberta
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Shame on the rich people of Ontario for shoving their crap down our
throats.
You are pathetic. Even when I lived in Canmore during the Olympics, I
met with people like you.
You do a dis-service to your "so-called" country. Your ignorance is
unbelievable.
I broke my right hand working on the rigs in '79. Mud up to my teeth,
watched friends take a broken wrench on the face and get fucked up.
What were you doing in '79? Sucking on your mother's breast?
I suspect he's the way he is because he didn't get mother's milk.

Robyn Gabriel
Blah
Dave
Robyn Gabriel
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-09 02:35:28 UTC
Post by Dave
Leading up to the Iraq war a CA MP stood up in the house and talked about
standing behind our president. Shows where they are coming from.
I don't recall that. Do you know who the MP was?

Robyn Gabriel
Robyn Gabriel
The Right One
2004-01-09 03:10:37 UTC
Post by Dave
Leading up to the Iraq war a CA MP stood up in the house and talked about
standing behind our president. Shows where they are coming from.
Can you cite that from Hansard?
--
Terry Pearson
http://www.rightpoint.org
They Both Planned It That Way
Dave
2004-01-10 16:37:00 UTC
No, I just saw it on the news. That was not the story, the were airing part
of Question Period re: whether or not Canada should join the war effort. It
amazed me that no one called him on it.
n***@columbus.rr.com

Dave
Eric®
2004-01-10 23:12:47 UTC
Dave wrote...
Post by Dave
We have no interest in going there. You made the mess, you clean it up.
You consider yourself to be more than one person? How is this possible?

Oh okay - I get it. Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Castro - that socialist
thingy, right?

jmd
2004-01-09 14:12:58 UTC
Post by Dave
Leading up to the Iraq war a CA MP stood up in the house and talked about
standing behind our president. Shows where they are coming from.
======================
Yeah, that was terrible. Imagine wanting to rid the world of a Saddam
Hussein.

John Dowell
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-11 02:17:22 UTC
Post by jmd
Post by Dave
Leading up to the Iraq war a CA MP stood up in the house and talked about
standing behind our president. Shows where they are coming from.
======================
Yeah, that was terrible. Imagine wanting to rid the world of a Saddam
Hussein.
Did you miss the point out of ignorance?

Robyn Gabriel
David Deilley
2004-01-11 02:54:57 UTC
Tough call.
John D
Robyn Gabriel
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-09 02:43:31 UTC
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:35:15 -0500, "John D"
Post by John D
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/News/2003/09/23/199855.html
I'm sure they'll find another rodent.

Robyn Gabriel
Robyn Gabriel
Neil
2004-01-09 03:53:51 UTC
Post by John D
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/News/2003/09/23/199855.html
I'm sure they'll find another rodent.
Robyn G
Latest intelligence from the FBI and CCIS into the death of wairton's
famous rodent, have indictated that the rodent died when he accidentally
bite into the dirty bomb that members of Saddam's and Bin Ladin's armies
had planted in his hole to detonate on ground hog day.

Since Wairton Willie had a much larger press gathering then his
american counterpart, it was beleived that bombing his hole would
provide maximun death and destruction.

Further investigations by the RCMP and the CIa also indicate that
Willie's american counterpart may have been involved in the plot to
Robyn Gabriel
Don Dickson
2004-01-09 15:41:11 UTC
In article
Post by Neil
Latest intelligence from the FBI and CCIS into the death of wairton's
famous rodent, have indictated that the rodent died when he accidentally
bite into the dirty bomb that members of Saddam's and Bin Ladin's armies
had planted in his hole to detonate on ground hog day.
Since Wairton Willie had a much larger press gathering then his
american counterpart, it was beleived that bombing his hole would
provide maximun death and destruction.
Further investigations by the RCMP and the CIa also indicate that
Willie's american counterpart may have been involved in the plot to
dirty bomb ground hog day.
Well we should turn all US groundhogs back at border crossings
unless they give us their paw prints and have their pictures
taken to cross match with all known groundhog terrorists. We just
can't be too careful. Maybe he was also smuggling BSE (or in this
case GSE) into Canada.
Don Dickson
n***@columbus.rr.com
Don Dickson
John Carrick
2004-01-10 22:48:18 UTC
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:32:09 GMT, <***@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

Yes. the *original* Wiarton Willie died several years ago and has been
replaced.

Of course, the original Punxsutawney Phil, being an *American*
groundog, has lived for the best part of a century, and must now be
considered immortal.

*Everything* is bigger and better south of the border, don't you
know?
.
John D
2004-01-11 01:23:45 UTC
Groundhogs here were originally called woodchucks, as Owatchok is the name
in one of our native languages, I forget which one. Now we have groundhogs,
just like our 'merican pals. I note the use of the word "marmot" in
describing the white one(s) that Wiarton keeps in their death camp.
Apparently the surviving Willie is a psychopathic killer, having murdered
his two roomies, as marmots are described as being "fiercely territorial".

-JD.
.
BARNEY
Definitely one tough little critter!
n***@columbus.rr.com
2004-01-11 15:25:30 UTC
Wrong again, Carrick, I did not write this.

A guy with your supreme education, command of English, can't even pick the
correct origin of a posting? How pitiful!(:-)
.
Valentine Michael Smith
2004-01-09 01:43:38 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Here's more proof why real Canadians should be very leary of the
Canadian Alliance, especially since their takeover of the Progressive
Conservative Party.
Today their website mentions PM Paul Martin's Groundhog Day Throne
Speech.
http://www.canadianalliance.ca/english/index-details.asp?ID=2671
Unfortunately for the Alliance, their cultural reference point for the
Groundhog Day icon is Punxsutawney Phil. That rodent lives in
Pennsylvania, USA!!!!
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Actaully if you read the page they say

"Sadly, Canadians can relate to the Groundhog Day movie, where Bill
Murray had to re-live the same day, over and over again, until he
found it in himself to live a better life. We’ve been re-living the
same Liberal mistakes over and over again, each one starting with a
new Throne Speech as our alarm clock."

Perhaps you can find a referance to a similar movie in Canada ?
http://libertarian.on.ca/

------------------------------

You used to laugh about
Everybody that was hangin' out
Now you don't talk so loud
Now you don't seem so proud
About having to be scrounging for your next meal.

Bob Dylan
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-09 02:40:42 UTC
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:43:38 -0500, Valentine Michael Smith
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
Post by Robyn Gabriel
[...]
Actually, if you looked at the page, you should have seen this
heading;

"The Groundhog Day Throne Speech
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 7, 2004

Will Punxsutawney Paul see his shadow?"

Can you explain why "Punxsutawney" is a Canadian reference point? Why
couldn't they have written "Wiarton Paul?"

Robyn Gabriel
Steve Marskell
2004-01-09 07:02:02 UTC
Because we love alliteration....
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-11 02:17:21 UTC
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 02:02:02 -0500, Steve Marskell
Post by Steve Marskell
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Will Punxsutawney Paul see his shadow?"
Can you explain why "Punxsutawney" is a Canadian reference point? Why
couldn't they have written "Wiarton Paul?"
Because we love alliteration....
Well, I suppose you're right about that.

Robyn Gabriel
Valentine Michael Smith
2004-01-10 15:16:22 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Actually, if you looked at the page, you should have seen this
heading;
"The Groundhog Day Throne Speech
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 7, 2004
Will Punxsutawney Paul see his shadow?"
Can you explain why "Punxsutawney" is a Canadian reference point? Why
couldn't they have written "Wiarton Paul?"
Hint - The fact there is a groundhog is not germane to their point.

Please find a movie about "our" groundhog that also has the unique
recurring feature like the Bill Murray movie (the recurrance is the
point being made) and then we can bash them for not being
neo-nationalistis (well maybe you can - I don't trust nationalists).

----------------------

You that never done nothin'
But build ta destroy
You play with ma world
Like it's yur little toy
Ya put a gun in ma hand
And you hide from my eyes
n' you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

Bob Dylan
----------------------------

http://libertarian.on.ca/
John Carrick
2004-01-10 22:30:40 UTC
Could we get the names right, please?

For Pennsylvania - Punxsutawney Phil. (Admittedly a tough one to
spell.)

For Ontario - Wiarton Willie.

Thanks.
.
The Right One
Robyn Gabriel
Mike Wilcox
2004-01-09 15:40:50 UTC
Post by Robyn Gabriel
Here's more proof why real Canadians should be very leary of the
Canadian Alliance, especially since their takeover of the Progressive
Conservative Party.
Today their website mentions PM Paul Martin's Groundhog Day Throne
Speech.
http://www.canadianalliance.ca/english/index-details.asp?ID=2671
Unfortunately for the Alliance, their cultural reference point for the
Groundhog Day icon is Punxsutawney Phil. That rodent lives in
Pennsylvania, USA!!!!
Don't the idiots at the Alliance know that there is a perfectely
wonderful CANADIAN icon for Grounhog day??? His name is Wiarton
Willy. Or does Willy not count because he's from Ontario?????
Shame on the Alliance for using foreign icons!!
Robyn Gabriel
There's more than one, usually they two or three in the same habitat

Mike Wilcox
Robyn Gabriel
2004-01-11 02:17:20 UTC
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:05:18 GMT, "The Right One"
Post by The Right One
Wireton Willy died a few years a go
So did your political development.

Robyn Gabriel
Robyn Gabriel
Karen Gordon
2004-01-11 00:03:49 UTC
Post by Cy Coe
The only mirror that the petulant anti-Americanism of Canadians
provides is of our ourselves - of our smallness, immaturity and lack
of our own real sense of identity. If you need to bash another
country to feel good about your own, that's a problem.
(K): Could be a problem. Could be a real sense of national patriotism.
I mean, who would feel good about being likened to the U.S. in this time
of history?
Post by Cy Coe
And, of course, you leftists are so quick to point out any violation
of Canada's supposed values of tolerance, understanding and respect.
But then, like the true hypocrites you are, when the hate is directed
at a people you don't like, it's just fine.
(K): You bet. Isn't that the 'American way' that you admire?
--
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The problem with political jokes is they get elected
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Karen Gordon
2004-01-11 00:07:07 UTC
Post by Cy Coe
Post by Weyoun
I know it's "anti-American" to some because it makes fun of how we view
them, but do you really think that we (such a small country) shouldn't have
some fun? I think they're hilarious.
Does being a small country mean we have to be a small people?
(K): Canada is not a 'small country'. Nor is it wrong to be anti-American
at this time in history. Nor are Canadians a 'small people'..... we have
taken the high ground after every assault by our good neighbours to the
south. What we need less of in this country are apologists for the damned
U.S.A.

--
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The problem with political jokes is they get elected
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Valentine Michael Smith
2004-01-11 00:54:15 UTC
Post by Karen Gordon
Post by Cy Coe
Post by Weyoun
I know it's "anti-American" to some because it makes fun of how we view
them, but do you really think that we (such a small country) shouldn't have
some fun? I think they're hilarious.
Does being a small country mean we have to be a small people?
(K): Canada is not a 'small country'. Nor is it wrong to be anti-American
at this time in history. Nor are Canadians a 'small people'..... we have
taken the high ground after every assault by our good neighbours to the
south. What we need less of in this country are apologists for the damned
U.S.A.
Bigotry is always wrong - and your anti-immigrant / anti-US / pro-
authoritarian government hysteria is not the high ground in any
educated or rational person's book.

----------------------

You that never done nothin'
But build ta destroy
You play with ma world
Like it's yur little toy
Ya put a gun in ma hand
And you hide from my eyes
n' you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

Bob Dylan
----------------------------

http://libertarian.on.ca/
Karen Gordon
2004-01-11 00:12:10 UTC
Post by jmd
Post by Dave
Leading up to the Iraq war a CA MP stood up in the house and talked about
standing behind our president. Shows where they are coming from.
Yeah, that was terrible. Imagine wanting to rid the world of a Saddam
Hussein.
(K): Is that why the U.S. invaded Iraq? If it was (6th, 7th, or 10th
U.S. version of why)... then why is the U.S. STILL in Iraq? Hundreds of
thousands of American troops guarding Saddam all over Iraq? Grow a brain.
--
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The problem with political jokes is they get elected
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Karen Gordon
2004-01-11 00:15:14 UTC
Cy Coe wrote...
Post by Eric®
Post by Cy Coe
The United States doesn't have to be perfect to make the kind of
anti-Americanism so often demonstrated in this forum unjustified. And
so much of this contempt is not simply directed at the political
institutions or leaders of the US, or at the nation as an abtract
entity, but at *Americans* themselves. How many posts have you seen
on here lately that refer to Americans as "morons" or as being
"stupid"?
I think it's more common to see on this newsgroup (can.pol) the antics
of a pack of lapdogs who immediately begin bleating "anti-American!"
when anyone dares to criticize their beloved US President.
I criticize the Canadian government all the time - and also provincial
governments. No one calls me 'anti-Canadian' if I do (just more homely
epithets like 'leftist', 'neo-con' or 'right-wing crazy'.
(K): Fitting.
--
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The problem with political jokes is they get elected
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Eric®
2004-01-11 01:37:41 UTC
Karen Gordon wrote...
Post by Karen Gordon
(K): Fitting.
Which one?

Karen Gordon
2004-01-11 00:32:31 UTC
Post by Eric®
Dave wrote...
Post by Dave
We have no interest in going there. You made the mess, you clean it up.
You consider yourself to be more than one person? How is this possible?
Oh okay - I get it. Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Castro - that socialist
thingy, right?
(K): Wrong.... he's speaking for the majority of Canadians. It's YOU
who has the 'multiple identity' problem. Some of YOUR aliases on Usenet:
- Sanity (***@a.a)
- Ruddell
- Andy J Henderson
- John Chapman
- Leni Posten
- Erik Schild
- TNR
- Sheldon Scott
- Bad Daddy
- DN
- Bill Robinson
- Daver50
- mktorg ........... amongst many, many others. What exactly is YOUR
problem? Are you trying to convince us that there are more idiots than
there really are on usenet? Or are you just a person with
multiple-personality disorder trying to pass as sane? If you can't post
under one name over a period of time because you're playing at devious
games or can't stand the heat under a single name, then perhaps you're not
a person with much in the way of conviction or honesty. Rightwing
characteristic for sure, but very easy for smart leftwingers to see through.
That's why the country is swinging to the LEFT after a small taste of right-
wing parties.... in Ontario, in BC and now even federally. No amount of
aliases on your part is going to change that.
--
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The problem with political jokes is they get elected
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Eric®
2004-01-11 01:40:31 UTC
Karen Gordon wrote...
Post by Karen Gordon
[...]
All this just cuz I called you "dildo-breath" again. Whoah!

David Deilley
2004-01-11 02:51:02 UTC
Post by Karen Gordon
(K): Wrong.... he's speaking for the majority of Canadians. It's YOU
Real name; Shawn Audet, upper Fraser valley
Post by Karen Gordon
- Ruddell
- Andy J Henderson
- John Chapman
- Leni Posten
- Erik [sic] Schild
Real name: Eric Schild, Banff, formerly north Okanagan
Post by Karen Gordon
- TNR
- Sheldon Scott
- Bad Daddy
Real name: Clay Acheson, software salesman from Vancouver
Post by Karen Gordon
- DN
- Bill Robinson
- Daver50
- mktorg ...........
AKA Doug Davies: fled Vancouver for Toronto after stiffing ex-employees
for back pay

Speaking as the person who originally outed Lambourn's multiple identities
several years ago -- I only have three words for you in response to this:
"You are demented."
TC
2004-01-11 03:01:23 UTC
Post by Karen Gordon
Post by Eric®
Dave wrote...
Post by Dave
We have no interest in going there. You made the mess, you clean it up.
You consider yourself to be more than one person? How is this possible?
Oh okay - I get it. Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Castro - that socialist
thingy, right?
(K): Wrong.... he's speaking for the majority of Canadians. It's YOU
- Ruddell
- Andy J Henderson
- John Chapman
- Leni Posten
- Erik Schild
- TNR
- Sheldon Scott
- Bad Daddy
- DN
- Bill Robinson
- Daver50
- mktorg ........... amongst many, many others.
Sorry "Karen" (if that's your real name).

Ruddell posts from Sasktel because he's in Regina, not Telus (like Eric).
Ruddell is the only person I know who posts here that also posts in another
group which has to do with Formula 1 cars. I know who he is, and I can
tell by his attitude and Eric's that Eric isn't Ruddell (not to mention that
I know how to read headers).

I think Terry Pearson is Elvis (hiding in Edmonton), but you probably think
he's Jim Morrison.

I've been
Eric®
2004-01-11 20:14:20 UTC
ajh wrote...
Karen you are losing it. I have had the same IP since shaw took over from
Rogers and the same Rogers IP for a few years before that. I have made
a couple of anonymous posts over the years, (IE: posts with no name),
but have never taken on another identity.
I would have never met your if it were not for Karen. Hi Andy!

Karen Gordon
2004-01-11 01:11:12 UTC
Post by Karen Gordon
Post by Cy Coe
Post by Weyoun
I know it's "anti-American" to some because it makes fun of how we view
them, but do you really think that we (such a small country) shouldn't have
some fun? I think they're hilarious.
Does being a small country mean we have to be a small people?
(K): Canada is not a 'small country'. Nor is it wrong to be anti-American
at this time in history. Nor are Canadians a 'small people'..... we have
taken the high ground after every assault by our good neighbours to the
south. What we need less of in this country are apologists for the damned
U.S.A.
Bigotry is always wrong - and your anti-immigrant / anti-US / pro-
authoritarian government hysteria is not the high ground in any
educated or rational person's book.
(K): You're not a 'rational person', so how would you know?
The "anti-immigrant, anti-U.S." sentiment now belongs to a MAJORITY of
Canadians, and I hardly think you could call the majority of Canadians
'hysterical'. As for the "authoritarian government" you so fear.... have
you got your 100 members yet in Ontario to re-register your Libertarian
Party? Now, THAT'S hysterical :->
--
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The problem with political jokes is they get elected
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
David Deilley
2004-01-11 02:52:55 UTC
Valentine Michael Smith aka Orion aka Jack Plant
Jack Plant is Jack Plant; Valentine Smith is Ken Wiebe's former pet
schoolyard bully keith Weaver.

Where do you GET these whacky theories.
Eric®
2004-01-11 07:10:22 UTC
David Deilley wrote...
Post by David Deilley
Jack Plant is Jack Plant; Valentine Smith is Ken Wiebe's former pet
schoolyard bully keith Weaver.
Where do you GET these whacky theories.
Don't think "Valentine Michael Smith" is Weaver.

David Deilley
It is not a unique pseudonym amongst selft-styled "libertarians."
Eric®
2004-01-11 16:49:19 UTC
David Deilley wrote...
Post by David Deilley
Post by Eric®
Don't think "Valentine Michael Smith" is Weaver.
He was at one time.
It is not a unique pseudonym amongst selft-styled "libertarians."
Looks like there are a few VMS's on the 'net. Polly nerdy guys who read
lots of sci-fi and never grew up.

Why a so-called libertarian would want a generic title is beyond me . .
.

Karen Gordon
2004-01-11 01:50:58 UTC
Post by Eric®
Karen Gordon wrote...
Post by Karen Gordon
[...]
(K): No, that just flushes out your character. It's your message
posting paths that show up your aliases.
--
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The problem with political jokes is they get elected
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
David Deilley
2004-01-11 02:53:56 UTC
Don't give up your day job for a career as an internet detective.
Eric®
2004-01-11 07:14:13 UTC
David Deilley wrote...
Post by David Deilley
Post by Karen Gordon
(K): No, that just flushes out your character. It's your message
posting paths that show up your aliases.
Don't give up your day job for a career as an internet detective.
As she "works" in a Victoria-area government office it is not surprising
she has time to bless us with her hallucinations.